Week 12

Women in comics is one of my favorite segments we've covered so far in class. One of the reasons being that I am a woman and enjoy seeing women succeed, but also because it's acknowledging just how far women have come as artists as a whole and how we found our place alongside the guys. Women were able to prove (and still are proving) that they can create cool, dynamic works of art that are not just confined to subject matters of love, domestic life and taking the backseat when it comes to saving the day.

For this weeks reading, I took a look at Pretty Deadly. Just by scrolling a few pages in, it is just that. Beautiful imagery and lots of blood. Personally, I love how the artist was able to combine the two.
I think what I already admired about this work was that the art spoke for itself. I din't care necessarily if a woman or a man did it. The art just looks amazing. I think was helps to separate it from a lot of work though, is the style and subject matter. It has this edgy, rough feel to it. A lot of people would easily just to the conclusion that a guy must have thought of this or that a guy probably drew it. Simply for those reasons.

Something else I also noticed was that the style kind of resembled and artist that I follow online. That artist is a guy, but the fact that both styles can resemble each other and carry this cool and edgy vibe only furthers the point that woman are capable of creating work that anyone would want to read, regardless of their gender.

Comics are only part of the movement to have more inclusivity of women in male dominated fields, but I think that women are doing a pretty great job at pushing their way in and demonstrating outstanding work that continues to impressed everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival + Image Translation

Week 2: Understanding Comics

Peanuts