Week 8

Stereotypes are everywhere and they can affect everybody - at least to a certain degree. From my own  perspective and opinion on the topic, I view them to be mostly bad, but sometimes based on a percent of truth.

The reason I say this is because in many ways, stereotypes derive from some fraction of truth. Obviously with a disclaimer of: Stereotypes, when handled in humor, should be handled at a VERY specific degree, and with the acknowledgment of the true nature of persons belonging to the background the joke pertains to. In many cases, people belonging to the group that is being stereotyped can share laughs about these kinds of jokes. However, I can really only speak for myself.

Recently, a friend asked me if it was ok to tell me a "racially insensitive" black joke. I said sure, because I was curious about what it would be and if I'd even be offended (typically I try not to let things like that offend me because I know the truth and am pretty comfortable in my colored skin). The joke basically pertained to blacks and stealing. Now, do I agree that that kind of joke is outdated, not even really funny, and narrow-minded, yeah. However, it's playing on a stereotype of black people and that stereotype comes from a small fraction of truth where lower income neighborhoods are more prone to theft, and many of those neighborhood contain people of color. This is not to say every black person lives in the ghetto, talks slang, steals and whatever else. It's a way of making light of an otherwise unfortunate situation.

In the grand scheme of things, though, I do feel that those who cannot separate light humor from actual racial insensitivity are detrimental to the progression of mitigating racism in our country and in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival + Image Translation

Week 2: Understanding Comics

Peanuts