Response and Week 13

what is your reaction to the text?

While reading the text, it was interesting to see how smoothly the story transitioned into each scene. The way the artist was able to connect the past and present through smooth visual transitions was impressive and made the work even more enjoyable to read. It was an intense and sad and scary comic all in one. I enjoyed it very much.


What connections did you make to the story? Discuss the elements of the story with which you were able to connect.

For me, the idea of poverty and sanity stood out to me. Poverty in the sense that I know what it's like to be in that position, but with sanity I feel that it can be a result of poverty. People close to me who have experience homelessness, for example, displayed a sense of losing themselves and the world around them. It's a sad reality that I realized at a young age.

What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you use? What changes would you make?

If I were to adapt this, I'd probably want to do some kind of abstract animation. I'd take the dominant colors the characters are shown in as identifying qualities, and then simplify the characters shapes into generic geometric shapes. I'd want to express all of the emotions and action that occurred, but without necessarily needing to use facial expression or words. Music, lighting, shadow and color would do this.

Week 13 Blog Post

For this week, I looked through Black Panther, volume 1. The style of this comic was pretty surprising at first sight. The style of coloring seemed to be traditional media, specifically colored pastels or colored pencils. The way the artists decided to execute the coloring was also interesting to me. It seemed to retain that same roughness to it, but it appeared to be more expressive with a blended, grudge look. What might have helped give off the transparency in some part of the illustrations is light washes of watercolor. I also noticed  the simplification of form in both people and architecture as well. The way the panels were done also seemed very different from the comics I've seen previously. They were laid out in a unique format with a black border around many of the panels. Text was also scattered through the comic in dynamic ways and ranged in line thickness and scale. I feel that this comic was very experimental and interesting to look at overall.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arrival + Image Translation

Week 2: Understanding Comics

Peanuts